Love almond milk or looking for a vegan alternative for your coffee?
Almond milk is a great option for coffee drinkers everywhere. If you are wondering, can I froth almond milk? The short answer is yes! There is no reason you can’t enjoy some great almond milk froth as long as you buy the right one.
To make sure this is the case, below I give you all the answers to can you froth almond milk as well as instructions for exactly how to froth almond milk at home whether you want to know how to froth almond milk without frother or with a machine.
I also cover the best almond milk to froth, the best milk frothers for almond milk and how to make your perfect coffee with almond milk.
What Is Almond Milk?
Almond milk is a great alternative to cow’s milk in your diet especially if you want a low calorie option as it usually has less calories than other types of milk if it’s unsweetened.
It’s lactose free and there aren’t any saturated fats.
Almond milk itself in its most basic form contains ground almonds and water that are blended and then strained to create a smooth milk.
It can also contain other ingredients depending on the type and brand. Bought almond milk will usually have starches and thickeners to improve shelf life and texture as well as flavoring added.
Naturally, it is not a good source of calcium or protein although some types of bought almond milk have calcium added as well as vitamin A and D.
Almond milk is not recommended for people who are allergic to nuts or almonds.
Can You Froth Almond Milk?
The answer to does almond milk froth for a latte is…. yes! Usually.
You definitely can froth almond milk. However, it’s not as easy as cow’s milk and it doesn’t always work depending on the almond milk you buy.
This is because a good froth is dependent on four factors within the milk.
- How fresh the milk is
- The temperature of the milk
- The milk’s protein content
- The fat content of the milk
It’s easier to froth milk with high fat content. A high protein content helps the froth last longer. Almond milk has low fat and protein content so while the answer to will almond milk froth? is yes, it’s not as easy as with cow’s milk.
How difficult also depends on the brand. In general, the percentage of almonds in almond milk is low but with some brands, it can be particularly low meaning the water content is very high. These will be particularly tricky to foam and some brands just won’t.
Good quality almond milk with a relatively high percentage of almonds is key.
Best Almond Milk For Frothing
So, what brands of almond milk froth well?
If you’ve had problems frothing almond milk in the past, it’s probably because of the brand you have bought. If depends what exactly is in it and the percentage of water.
Some brands which should work for frothing are:
Califia Farms Original Almondmilk Barista Blend Good Mylk Co Organic Unsweetened Almond Milk Concentrate Silk Almond Milk
How To Froth Almond Milk
Now you know the answer to can almond milk be frothed and you’ve got the right almond milk, it’s time to learn how to foam almond milk.
The best way to froth almond milk depends on the tools you have at your disposal! Below, I walk you through how to froth almond milk with a frother as well as how to froth almond milk without a machine.
How To Froth Almond Milk With An Espresso Machine
First of all, if you are wondering can you froth almond milk with espresso machine, the answer is yes! As long as it’s almond milk which can be frothed as described above.
The following are general instructions when using an espresso machine and should be altered to use your particular milk frother with almond milk.
- Give the almond milk carton a good shake
- Pour some almond milk into your foaming jug
- Insert the attached steaming wand into the almond milk
- Hold it just under the surface of the milk while setting off a steady stream of steam
- Put the tip to the side of the jug and move it up and down to add more air to the milk
- When the milk has doubled in size, you are done. Remove the jug from the wand
- You are ready to use your frothed milk
Almond milk is trickier to froth than cow’s milk so it may take some practise to get it exactly how you want.
If you want to know how to froth almond milk with hand frother, use your hand frother as per the instructions.
How To Froth Almond Milk Without A Frother
If you are wondering can almond milk froth without a frother or coffee machine, the answer is yes.
Using A Jar
You can froth almond milk with a jar if you have a microwave as well.
- Pour almond milk in a jar. Don’t fill past the halfway mark
- Screw the lid onto the jar
- Shake the jar until you happy with the amount of foam. This may take a few minutes
- Put the jar in the microwave and heat for around 30 seconds until it is hot
- Add the froth to the drink of your choice.
Using An Electric Mixer Or Stand Mixer
Another option of how to froth almond milk at home without a frother is using an electric or stand mixer. You could also use a whisk instead although this will take longer.
- If your device has a whisk attachment, use this
- Pour some milk into a bowl big enough that it will keep holding the milk as it’s turned into foam
- Heat the milk in the microwave until it has warmed up
- Whip the almond milk with your mixer on its highest setting until you are happy with the foam
- Add the froth to your drink
How To Make A Coffee With Almond Milk
Now you have your frothed almond milk, it’s time to make your coffee.
You can use it like you usually would for any frothed milk. However, it is likely to lose its froth faster.
Usually, froth is made to make a latte or cappuccino and you can use your almond milk froth for this.
However, although the answer to can you froth almond milk for cappuccino is yes, this is extra tricky. This is because a cappuccino generally has a fair bit of froth and even a good almond milk that you froth well will struggle to create the type of froth you can with cow’s milk.
If you are making this or a latte or any other drink with your frothed almond milk, just use it how you would any other frothed milk.
Best Milk Frother For Almond Milk
Do you want to know how to get almond milk to froth and want a frother for this? Great, I’ll help you work it out.
In general, any milk frother will work with almond milk although you may have to practise and hone your technique to get a good froth with almond milk as it is trickier. If you want to know can you use almond milk in Nespresso frother, the answer is yes as well.
There are three types of milk frothers:
- Electric – These are the quickest and easiest to use for great froth. Cons are that they are usually bigger (so take up more space) and more expensive
- Handheld – These are smaller, battery-operated options which can be more convenient. However, they don’t heat the almond milk so you’ll have to do that separately
- Manual – These take the most effort to operate and the longest to froth your milk. You’ll also need to heat the milk separately. The upside is that you don’t need a power source and they are smallest. These are the best choice for travel
When it comes to the best electric milk frother for almond milk, try one of these options:
Secura Milk Frother Befano Milk Frother and Steamer
For a handheld milk frother almond milk consider:
PowerLix Milk Frother Handheld Aerolatte Milk Foamer
For the manual best milk frother for almond milk try:
HIC Milk Creamer Frother Coffee Foam Pitcher Bellemain Stainless Steel Hand Pump Milk Frother
I hope you’ve found this guide to can you foam almond milk and exactly how do you froth almond milk useful. Remember, to froth almond milk, you do need the right kind so take note of the recommendations above.
You can find all our other guides to useful almond products here.